Sunday, October 19, 2008

Alternatives to Cable TV

Direct TV and Satellite Television

I've been itching to get away from Comcast for a long time. The issue is they suck you in with their packages that include telepone, hi speed internet, and cable TV service. When customers try to disconnect one of these, you lose the savings of the bundle.

But the cable television service just needs to go, as the service and quality is well below par. With so much talk today about hi def, there just wasn't much of that with Comcast. So I started doing a little research on who else was available in my area.

I am fortunate to be one of the individuals who have a couple of options. Unlike many people who can only pick from just the cable company or dish television, I have a third choice in my region. The old telephone company in this neighborhood has been altering the telephone network. Now there is another player with U-verse from AT&T.

That doesn't of course mean I won't have similar issues. It would put someone in the same situation as with the cable television company, because telephone company want me to package their television service with high speed and voice service. If the service is good, customers will be pleased. But if its not you are in the same circumstance that I'm in now with the cable operator.

The reviews I found on the internet are fairly good on telecom television service. Because it is brand new, there is always a risk with a service like this, and some folks share their bad reviews. Those reviews are the quite amusing, simply for the reason people make the decision to write a dissertation on their bad experience and share it on the world wide web. Unhappy customers badmouth the company like it is some huge conspiracy to screw the customer, like the corporation does not want our money!

Another option I'm looking into is of course satellite TV. Because we have six television viewers in our house, we have subscribed in the past to a premium TV package. The satellite companies are fairly comparable, as the Premier package by DirecTV and the America's Everything Pak by Dish Network are both right around $100 a month. Sure that's fairly pricey for pay television, but if you make the comparison with taking your family to supper and a show, it really isn't all that much.

1 comment:

ComcastCares1 said...

I am sorry to learn that you are looking into other companies as your service provider.

If you will allow, I will be happy to reach to my contacts and see if we can offer a better package with better savings for you. Hopefully, we can find a promotion that you will be eligible for.

Please feel free to send me the phone number on the account so that I can help.

Best Regards,

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com